Friday, October 31, 2008

Trading Wheels




Well there’s no turning back now. I’ve sold my bike and after looking at a few old on/off road bikes we’ve bought an old Yamaha XT 550 thumper. This bike will definitely be for Theo since I don’t think my right knee cap, which is a metal jigsaw puzzle, will cope with kick starting the thing into life. Visions of me flying over the handlebars and developing a limp doesn’t do it for me. Theo says I’ll definitely have to get something with an electric start but that makes it more difficult to keep within our budget. We either have to get something more recent and bigger i.e. a 650 but that costs way more, or consider something smaller like a 250 but then I’m worried I’m gonna poer poer along at 80km/hr. mmmm – not into that. I’m definitely not getting one of those Chinese imports either. I’ve heard too many stories about things falling off and anyway there are far too many almost brand new ones up sale – warning lights.

I had a flicker of doubt when I realized I’m exchanging my nice shiny bike to buy something that looks like an old scrappy piece of junk. Oh well the up side is I won’t have to worry about polishing again. I suppose I’ll trade polish time for scraping mud off the engine and tightening nuts and bolts. I’m also aware of the fact that speed will no longer be a part of the equation. I know it’s going to be a different ride but what about counter steering and leaning in the corners? Many people have asked us if we’re getting old, what with trading our super bikes for dual bikes, while others have warned that offroading is scary and quite an adrenalin rush. I suppose I’ll find out for myself soon enough. Just gotta find a suitable bike.

No comments:

Please Support Our Cause