Friday, October 12, 2012

Ouma en oupa sit op die stoep

Ouma en oupa sit op die stoep


We have become grandparents. I don’t feel any different, just very excited. The bundles of joy, note I used the plural, are the tiniest, cutest, most perfect little twins on this earth. Unfortunately they live across the ocean in the faraway country of Japan so I have to go googoo gaga over the airwaves. Thank goodness for technology which enables us to see them and watch them grow. Kyro and Aoi are keeping me updated from Japan. Kyro read up about every aspect of every stage of Aoi’s pregnancy and before her first trimester was over he informed us that babies can communicate from a very young age and that he planned to teach them to sign so that he can understand their needs and requests. Marine is waving on the one photo so I guess she was saying “hi granny, look, I’m even cuter than a panda bear. I have long fingers so I’ll soon be able to use chopsticks to eat my rice for breakfast.” Sky has a good set of lungs on her as I heard in the video clip while she got her first bath so I guess she’s gonna be communicating verbally instead. I could have them mixed up already in fact I wonder how their parents can tell them apart. I would love to visit them sometime in the future but I think only once they are past the jelly stage and I can play with them. Perhaps they will come out here for a visit and I will teach them how to be a South African and eat mielie pap, rip meat off the bone and sing Sarie Marais. Maybe they will even want to go hare hunting with Theo on the airstrip at night. Maybe not. Theo really did try it once but he can home hareless. His own hair (all 16 of them) had a slight wave though since it was a windy night.

We recently made a trip into East London for a long weekend to skype Kyro and his new family. Funny how after 3 months of living here in the village, you’d think I’d enjoy seeing a bit of the rest of world. Well, I haven’t missed the traffic, the shops or the people all doing those things which city people do. And when we returned I felt a sense of belonging as we neared our new home at Qolora Village. We bought some lettuce and cabbage seedlings to plant in Theo’s slow growing vegetable garden. He had planted beans, spinach, and carrots from seeds and they were all coming along ever so slowly in his organic garden. The potatoes were doing the best and were up to the second tyre. Anyway someone, I assume one of the woman who occasionally slap mud on a roof to fix a leak or mop the shower floor, must have gone into the garden to take their wheelbarrow. Problem is they left the damn gate open and not only did the chickens have a feast but so did a damn donkey. Not a single blade of anything green is left. Theo will have to start all over again.

Oh well, it looks another month of mielie pap, afval and Theo’s imagination.







No comments:

Please Support Our Cause